The Women’s Welsh Club of Illinois meets six times a year from October to May.
For information contact: Sue Stealey at 630-963-6625, or Barbara Jones at 847-492-2823
The Women’s Welsh Clubs originated in Cleveland, Ohio in 1914.
Plans for the Illinois Club began in early Spring 1955 when a committee met at the home of Estelle Roberts Schubert. It was then called the Welsh Women’s Club. The first meeting was held on June 20, 1955 at the Carleton Hotel, Oak Park. There were 63 women present. Many more joined during the first year. Mrs Mae Anderson, the National President, was present at the meeting in June 1955.
The first officers were:
Miss Myra Thomas, President, Mrs Ernest (Theo) John, Vice President, Mrs Robert (Mary) Williams, Secretary, Mrs Roy (Bessie) Buchhauser, Financial Secretary Mrs Roland (Rosella) Jones, Treasurer
The following charter members is still with us:
Mrs Jean McCarragher